Celebration @ United Kingdom - Birmingham

United Kingdom am coming....


My first and foremost far off International trip that too all alone. I only know how I managed to push myself and ask for a 2 week off from my busy work schedule of Adobe office life. The main event was my sweet cousin sis's wedding that was scheduled a month later in Birmingham. Somehow, none of our family members were able to make it for the wedding from India.

I got the invite/ sponsorship letter from my uncle (mama) for the wedding. One fine day I asked my manager for a 2 week leave to attend the wedding, and as soon as the leave was approved, I booked my tickets on my own (though almost close to double the cost of airline tickets, as booked at the last moment, but then was happy and proud) and then with help of my big brother, I applied for the United Kingdom Visa from New Delhi via the Embassy. Had to go for the visa Interview to British Embassy, and they got the visa photo clicked and then during Visa Interview asked me "why am visiting, to whom, for how many days in UK, and if I am going to visit any other places!" I was bit concerned if it will be approved or not, as heard sometimes they reject the visa application as well. But Hurrayyyy…… in a weeks' time I got the UK Visa stamped on my passport, I was so damn happy to see it. (Am sure, most of you must have realized the happiness of your first International trip/ visa stamping on your passport??) which becomes a memory for lifetime.

Had a direct Air India flight on 26th June, 2014 afternoon from New Delhi (Terminal)T3 to Birmingham. I bought the maxis international SIM Card at the T3 Airport for smooth communication with everyone. Birmingham Airport (BHX) is  a travel hub, and to my surprise the airport was very peaceful the 26th evening I landed. My uncle already mailed me the driver details in advance, who was about to come to pick me up, so as soon as I did immigration, picked my luggage and came out of a narrow lane, the driver was waiting outside with my name board in his hand. He took my luggage and while he was loading the luggage in the car, I explored the airport and then he drove me towards the city.


I was so excited, happy and feeling peaceful seeing the bright green lush and landscapes on my way, it was scenic with hardly people around seen on road. In 20-25mins as I was approaching nearby the area, it started becoming cloudy and dusky, I could still see green grasses all around, just 2-3 people on road walking, and duplex independent houses. Then comes a broad gate, and inside was the open area, a big tree right in between the open space, and taking a round from the side, there comes the big house in Handsworth Wood.

The driver lead me towards inside the house, were uncle and aunty came to receive me.

As the Sangeet (song) function was about to start, so I quickly met my sister (Rakhi di), cousin brother's and sis-in-law, they guided me to the room to freshen up and get ready. I met my other cousin sis (Nina di) in the room, it was so nice meeting her after so many years. She came down from New York. We chit chated and quickly got ready and went downstairs to the backyard garden of uncle's house.

It was actually a big garden and very nicely arranged in tent with stage, sitting arrangements, dinner space, mehendi area and nicely decorated for the function.


Few guests were already there and others walking in. Meanwhile, I met my other uncles, aunties, and cousins, was feeling so fresh and excited to meet everyone. (Though everyone said I must be jetlagged, but somehow I was not at all).



Sangeet function started around 7pm with many a performances : dance by my sweet lovely to be bride Sister, brothers, uncle, aunties and the bride's friend. There was singing, dancing, poems, mix emotions, comedy, laughter.. an amazing gathering.


Followed by freshly cooked delicious dinner by expert cooks.


After that, Mehendi for all the ladies on the floor was arranged. We were talking, laughing, and enjoying till 3am in the morning. I just loved the smell of pure mehendi. Woowww…. :)



The house was lighted up, as soon as it started getting darker. It looked fabulous.


The next day we all relaxed and rested at home. All of us went in the afternoon to the backyard Garden area, "It's play time" - each of us played and jumped on Trampoline. Had so much fun.





Same day evening, we 5-6 cousins went out exploring the city. We went to Brindley place, nearby the tunnel area, it was gorgeous.


Then went to the Book Library.









It was a newly built library. Very modern concept, with loads and loads of books collection and unique ambience.


We went to the top last floor and the view was marvellous, the weather was cloudy and we could view the city around.
I relaxed, took the fresh air and the beautiful view, sat for sometime and had fun with all cousins. In sometime, it started drizzling making the weather more beautiful.


Our other cousins came this evening, and then more fun began. We had a delicious dinner at home. The next day was house rest, spa and trampoline day.

D D-Day- 29th, here comes the wedding day. We all decked up in the house, and for everyone, the big coach was booked. We all took the marriage stuffs and boarded the coach, had a kind of picnic time in the coach, everyone making jokes, singing songs, enjoying and then there we reached the Venue - Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire.



It was an amazing palace, having a huge courtyard in between, on the left side was the main Hall having Garden at the back side of it and on the right side was the restaurant, having blush greenery with water flowing by it's side.


The groom's family (baarat) came in a while, with full on dhol music and dance, all happy faces around.


All the marriage ceremonies were conducted one after the other. I still remember the Pandit (priest), he was really funny, really made the occasion happening.


We girls really had lot of fun attending the occasion and being part of my sis's Indian wedding rituals like:  did the juta chupana (stealing the groom's footwear), Doaar chekai (blocking the gate) for the groom to take the bride further in the house. After a while, when bride and groom was doing the court marriage, we cousins were exploring the palace, clicking pics and having a blast.


Had a Grand lunch after that. The food was superb.


The 'Vidhai' (the bride leaving her own house, family members behind and going to a new house with her beloved husband) was done. And we all returned Birmingham by night.


Th next day, I along with my sis: after breakfast we visited Birmingham Botanical Gardens and Glasshouses.

Then for shopping we both went by cab to Bullring, Birmingham. Had an awesome time shopping there, I totally enjoyed it and shopped many apparels. This area was full on crowded with people shopping all over.

For shopping, you can also visit :
Grand Central; 
The Mailbox; 
Great Western Arcade.

While shopping we two explored near around St Martins church.

Then saw the architectural building ' Selfridges'.


Next day, all of us the family members went to Wimbledon.

And another day was out in Cambridge.


One of the evenings we did Barbeque party, followed up by Karaoke the whole night. It was so much of fun with all the cousins.


 


We used to relax at the backyard garden of the house, I was  really amazed by the variety of trees planted by my uncle aunt in there garden and so well maintained.


After the wedding on 4th, my cousin brother invited everyone at his Sutton Coldfield' house for lunch. Wow, such a nice cute house it was, I totally liked it.



On 5th was the Wedding Reception at Grand Connaught Rooms, Great Queen Street, in LONDON. At 6:30pm Champagne Reception began. It was so Grand and Royal. Had a great family time far away from own country. :)

There are many other places to explore:
  • Historic City Centre - At Victoria Square have the Town Hall, Symphony Hall and Council House.
  • National SEA Life Centre
  • Cadbury World - At Linden Road. It's one of the area's largest attraction.
  • Thinktank, Birmingham Science Museum - This award winning museum includes a large number of fascinating science-related exhibits. It is located at Millennium point, Curzon street.
  • Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery - At Chamberlain Square was opened in 1885 and considered as one of the finest museums outside London.
  • Back to Backs
  • St Michael's Cathedral and Old Coventry Cathedral is located at Hill top
  • St Philip's Cathedral - built in 1715 and located at Colmore Row.
  • Legoland Discovery Centre
On the way back to India, My direct Flight was from London, so booked in advance the 'National Express' coach for 6th July and kept the ticket print out. Coach e-ticket costs 19pound. On Sunday morning, uncle aunty came to drop me to Birmingham Coach Station (Mill Lane, Digbeth). I went inside the station it was almost empty, so asked at the counter for the bus coach, and boarded my coach for direct Heathrow Airport, London. There saying Bye Bye to everyone and Birmingham.

Comments

  1. What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I hope to give a contribution & help different users like
    its helped me. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment